Keeping in touch with the right people at the right locations
There are a few common problems we can face when working with addresses. Depending on who the audience is, a different addressing system is most effective.
Lat/Long or point of interest?
To someone living in New York City, the "Met Museum" might be very obvious. But the same information does not mean anything to someone across the globe. If you ask the same person in New York City for the address (or lat/long coordinates) of the Met Museum, he/she might not even be able to tell you!
Here's the dilemma:
- For a system to work with locations, a latitude and longitude is required
- For a driver to work with locations, a point of interest is preferred (especially if he/she does not plan to turn on the GPS)
Frequently used locations
The same dilemma happens for the customer service representative filling in customer orders. A customer request for a drop off at "Westport" could be extremely common - even though there are 26 locations with the same name around the world.
Another customer might refer to a pickup location as "my warehouse". This customer places orders 5 times a day.
Who do I meet at which entrance?
Imagine trying to drop off a package at the Dubai Mall. Which entrance do you stop at? Do you use the loading bay? Who do you contact after you arrive?
The Address Book
- Preset addresses can be created with accurate latitude and longitudes
- Senders have access to these regularly used points of interest
- Orders created using addresses from the Address Book are automatically linked to the address book entry. When using batch upload of orders, matching key of <Address Line 1> and <Contact Name> is used to link a task to an address in the Address Book.
- During planning and optimisation, accurate latitudes and longitudes are used. If opening and closing hours are specified in the address book entry, this is used in optimisation.
- During execution, drivers have access to:
- Point of interest name for convenient reference
- Accurate lat/long for GPS navigation
- Contact name and number
- Notifications intended for the pickup or drop off contact persons are automatically sent to address book contacts instead.
In Yojee, addresses can be added individually or through a batch file upload.